Wednesday

Tune Tape Tuesdays #25

From time to time, I like to listen to my iPod on total shuffle. This is usually something I do alone, as the last thing you want happening at the drinks party that you've volunteered to take musical charge of, is some deeply embarrassing early-00's Atomic Kitten coming on the speakers. I'm one of those people who has become obsessed to the point of compulsive disorder with their iTunes library. I neaten up track titles, put on album covers, organise it all into easy-access playlists...but I never really stop to appreciate, or even listen to, how many songs I've got. On this week's shuffle, I rediscovered an album by one of my favourite artists of all time: Scott Matthews. When building up my OCD iTunes library, I decided to download his discography (fancy word alert), but never got round to listening to Elsewhere, his album released in 2009. Well, it fucking blew my mind. Although his earlier album of Passing Stranger (2006) has all of my favourite songs, Elsewhere is way more consistent in its quality. In fact, I might even go as far as saying there was not a single track I wanted to skip - which for me is a big deal. Nothing's Quite Right Here was the song that caught my ear (does that make sense?) last week:



If you like it, check out the full album on Grooveshark here.

I've got to admit, finding exciting new music has been a bit of an uphill battle this week. Regardless, I'm pretty confident I've managed to pull out of the woodwork a pretty hot Tune Tape. Although I suppose that's up to you to decide. First up is Snakehips with On & On. With a rolling beat, velvet vocals, and just enough synth to infuse it with a sexy, mellow happiness, this track is the perfect start to your Summer. Putting it another way, 'snakehips' would be an entirely appropriate reaction. I featured my friend, the brilliant Cospatric, a couple of weeks ago. In the interim he's gone through a breakup, which is sad step for him, but a great step for his music. Silver linings, eh? This week he's released a cover of The Killer's Everything Will Be Alright, full of raw emotion and bruised feelings. If you're feeling it, check out his Soundcloud stream here. If you're a fan of Electro, then check out the newest remix from Monsieur Adi, who puts a fresh spin on Jamie N Commons' soul track, Rumble and Sway. Adding a grinding bass beat and an injection of synth, he manages to transform the track, while still showcasing the amazing tonal qualities of the original vocals. Nice job, Monsieur. Continuing on in this 'Electric Feel', is the first of two songs featured on this week's Tape by TTT favourite, Sir Sly: a remix of Gold by Australian duo Twice As Nice, which adds a stonking great Electro beat onto the Indie artist's recognisable vocals. For an example of what he sounds like usually, play Found You Out, his newest single. Sir Sly is part of the fresh wave of Indie that's been crashing onto our shores for the last year or so. Having taken a bit of a dive since the mid-00's, it's since regrouped and is back with a great new sound, and I, for one, am super excited about its comeback. Over the past two weeks, it's been impossible to ignore Rudimental's new track, Waiting All Night, which has been blasting out of every passing car at full volume. Ella Eyre is the girl behind those incredible vocals, oh and by the way, she's nineteen years old. This week I thought I'd showcase her incredible talent by stripping back Rudimental's beats and giving you the acoustic version of Waiting All Night. Enjoy. Part Dancehall, part Trap, part Chillwave, Cockiness is an amazing track by Jonas JR. Featuring a sample from a Rihanna track of the same title, this track is guaranteed to get you tapping your feet to its funky fusion beat (that rhymed.). Some of you might recognise the name of Sky Ferreira from her catchy 2012 bubblegum-pop hit, One. This year, she released a second single, Everything is Embarrassing, which, I'll be honest, I wasn't a massive fan of. Krystal Klear has managed to take it and transform it into something completely different; ie. something you wouldn't cringe at listening to. Turns out everything 'isn't' embarrasing. If you'd prefer a purer injection of pop, check out JayBeatz compilation track, We All Love Beyoncé, a mash-up of Drake and Queen Bey undercut by a sexual beat. Mieow. Giraffage also features twice on this week's Tune Tape, first teaming up with Jahmeel and DWNTWN on Move Me - a beautiful fusion of HipHop, Chillwave and Ambientronica. Next, he remixes Owl Eyes' Closure in his signature style of breaks, wobbles, and layered beats. Remember his name - I've got a feeling he's just about to make it big. For a hit of Instrumental, stick on Bass Physics's Old School Melody, which emulates the backing tracks of 90's HipHop and Soul, beefing it up so it holds its own. Great stuff. Finally, Broke For Free offers Budding, a beautifully layered little ditty  that makes you want to sit by a river bank and watch life flow by. Ah, if only I could...





Love,
Belle x

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...