Thursday

Tune Tape Tuesdays #29

Apologies for the late delivery on another Tune Tape - I'm afraid I've been a bit predisposed this week. Y'see, this will be the final Tune Tape being broadcast from Manchester - the city of music that has been my home for the last three years *tear*. This Sunday will mark the start of the next chapter of my life, familiar to most graduates from university. That's right: I'm moving back in with my parents. Hopefully this will a) be temporary, and b) not affect the quality of the Tune Tapes - but no guarantee on either of these statements. In light of this, I've put together the BIGGEST TUNE TAPE YET; 29 brand-spanking new tracks to say my goodbye to my life as a student, and hello to my life as an unemployed adult. Pass the whiskey, it's going to be emotional.

This week I thought I'd bring your attention to an amazing band I've just discovered: Imaginary Friend. They've just brought out a new album, and it's fantastic. If you like the sound of their track, The Thick and The Thin (which I've pitched at Number One), then preview - and buy - the whole thing on iTunes here. It's truly beautiful. Similarly enchanting is Simple Kids by Story Books, whose beautiful lyrics and uplifting guitar riffs will cast a spell over you. For a more classic, happy-clappy, Indie sound, play Celeste by Les Enfants - guarantee to make you smile. Making the rounds on music blogs this week is Marika Hackman's Bath is Black, whose beautiful vocals are juxtaposed with an early electronic organ-sounding accompaniment. Sounds odd, but give it a go, I think you'll like it. I know I put a lot of remixes on these Tapes but I don't often give you the originals - this week marks a change. First up is Milky Chance with Down the River. The original actually sounds like it's already been remixed, but don't be fooled by the heavy bass beat. FlicFlac takes this, extends it, and adds some breaks and snares - not a total overhaul, but I think it's an interesting interpretation. Next is Bipolar Sunshine and their similarly-named track, Rivers - an example of 'new Indie', which has taken influence from Drum and Bass, amongst other things. ToyBoy & Robin have built on these influences and transformed it into a pretty solid House track. Big Fish, Little Fish, anyone? By now, you should be aware that I've got big love for covers. This week, I've found two which merit a place on the Tune Tape. First is a track which I think exemplifies a great cover: Put A Ring On It, covered by Settling. He manages to turn what is an RnB anthem (I mean, who hasn't seen that video) into a beautiful Indie ditty. Seriously unrecognisable. Amazing job. Ellie Goulding has been trying her hand at a few covers lately, most recently Tessellate, originally by Alt-J (∆). Like Settling, I really love covers that switch the vocals' gender - i.e. if the original is by a woman, let a man cover it. Not only does it bring a totally new pitch and tone to the table, it also reverses the meaning, and makes you think about the song in a different way. Whilst I have to say I prefer the original in this case, I think Ellie does a great job on switching up the vocals. Speaking of timeless originals, stick on Viceroy "Jet Life" remix of Mark Morrison's classic 90's track, Return of the Mack (featured in that T-Mobile advert - you know the one), and have a bloody great time. Viceroy brings the track up to date by injecting some Summery synth and slightly increasing the tempo so it's perfect body-swerving speed. The next two tracks may not be to everybody's taste at first listen, but give them time, they're growers. They're also very in fashion, as anyone who's anyone spells their name in CAPITALS now. First up is HYDRABADD with Sanctuary, who describe their style as *begin airquotes* a sonic picture that is Diamond Spectrum *end airquotes*. However pretentious their Facebook 'about' section might be, their music is interesting and original, and I'd go as far to say that they're going places. FMLYBAND (who I believe are pronounced 'FamilyBand', not Fuck My Life YBAND, as I originally thought) is a similarly experimental sound - possibly more 'nuovo-Indie' than anything else, but I think it's unfair to pigeonhole them. Electricity is possibly more mainstream than the previous track, but I think you'd agree it's a similar "sonic picture". On a different note (pun totally intended), this week's soul is provided by Wale feat. Sam Dew with Love Hate Thing. I have to say, the soulful chorus - provided by Sam Dew - really makes this track for me. The rap really isn't anything special, but it does the job in contrasting nicely from the smooth melodies laid down by Mr. Dew. If you're looking for some decent rapping, stick on Miguel Campbell's remix of TOKiMONSTA (another capitalised name, he's trendy) feat. Kool Keith with The Force. Taking it back to the 90's fo'real, yo. Fred Falke is back in business, recently remixing a track by NERVO (what is with the capitals, seriously), Hold On. Which definitely has an early-00's House vibe about it (think Liberty X with Just a Little - getting it?). There's been a lot of 'groovy House' going around lately - soulful 70's classics reworked for modern ears - with quite a lot of success, actually. This week I'm featuring two tracks that slot into this genre: Moods's remix of Boz Scaggs' Low Down, and an extended House tribute to Bring Me Joy, originally by The Layabouts but reworked by Director's Cut. See if you can work out what they're saying at the beginning - my guess is 'Gerard Butler'. Flight Facilities have been a regular feature on TTT, and this week they're back with their feel-good track I Didn't Believe - perhaps not one of their greatest, but worth a mention nonetheless. Finally, we have two songs that I'm really excited about. First up is //Fractures with Twisted, which I have a feeling is going to be HUGE in underground circles. Does that make sense? I don't know. I think it's amazing. Next up is Tongue by Maribou State feat Holly Walker. If you can check out the video for this, do, because it's fantastic. It's another grower, so stick with it - it will reward you. Alright - the rest is down to you to discover. Happy listening folks, and over-and-out from me in Manchester. We've had some great times.





Love,
Belle x

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...