Tuesday

Tune Tape Tuesdays #5

I have a whole playlist dedicated to covers on my iTunes. There are around 300 tracks in there. I love them. It's like owning a movie with an alternative ending. It makes you think differently about the song that they're covering, and gives you a better understanding and appreciation for the original. However, there are people in this world who do not share my adoration of covers. With this playlist, I hope to change their minds; I've chosen covers that I believe definitely hold their own against, or provide a new dimension to, the original...

First up is Mr Little Jeans with Arcade Fire's The Suburbs. I fell in love with this track about a year ago thanks to my friends at The Music Ninja, and we've had a beautiful relationship ever since. It transforms the heavy-chorded Indie anthem into a delicate electronic masterpiece, with a grinding bassline that screams sex. Definitely one for the 'fuzzy tingle times' (The Crack Fox. High five.). Austra's cover of The Strokes' Alone, Together is actually part of a whole tribute album of the band's 'This Is It', put together by Stereogum website (read post here) to celebrate it's 10th birthday. Unfortunately the free album - aka 'Stroked' - is no longer available through Stereogum, but being an awesome person I have found a website where it is (TA-DA!). I really recommend it, there are some awesome covers on there that really compliment the originals. Another notable this week is Mrs Bishop's beautiful cover of The Hives Hate To Say I Told You So. The original was the themesong to my angry teenage years, but the cover has matured as I have (ahem...), and its haunting vocals and pared-down accompaniment make you see the song in a totally new light. Before I shut up and let you listen, I just want to salute Florence & The Machine's cover of Drake & Rihanna/Jamie XX & Gil Scott-Heron's Take Care [Of You]. Where it has previously taken two artists to provide contrast, this cover only requires Florence and her beautiful vocals. She manages to get the soul and emotion into Rihanna's chorus and do justice to Drake's rap - quite something. 

Time for you to judge for yourself - let me know what you like/dislike, and apologies for the mix of Soundcloud & YouTube...y'know how it is.


Original by: Arcade Fire

Original by: The Strokes


Original by: George Harrison


Original by: The Naked & Famous



Original by: Chris Isaak


Original by: Take That


Original by: City High


Original by: Good Shoes


Original by: Jai Paul

Original by: The Hives

Original by: M83


Original by: Drake & Rihanna; Real Original by: Jamie XX & Gil Scott-Heron

Hope you enjoyed!

Love,
Belle x

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...