Tuesday

Tune Tape Tuesdays #7

As my last two posts have been Christmas-themed, you might be mistaken for supposing that this Tune Tape would supply you with some jingles to deck the halls to. Sorry folks, but I don't do Christmas Music. There's enough being blasted from the speakers of every department store/Christmas Market in the land - you don't need any more from me. However, because I'm a people pleaser, I'm giving you my favourite Christmas album: Music from the OC Mix 3. Just click here (you're welcome). 

Ok, back to business. This week you lucky folks are getting a Tune Tape of seventeen kick-ass songs! They're arranged so you can work up from chilled to head-banging in one musical swoop. First up this week is Josh Heinrich's cover of Adele's Set Fire to the Rain. You might recall a few Tune Tapes back (hello) was a compilation of my favourite covers - well this one has got to be added. It gives the song an entirely new lease of life, and makes you better appreciate the original plus the work that Josh has put in to make it speak for itself. Yellow Red Sparks's Monsters With Misdemeanours is also worth a mention for its multi-dimentional and layered sounds, as well as the great chorus lyric "I'm just sick of the monsters that we chase every day". If this is what Indie music has evolved into, then I'm very glad. Another cover comes in the way of Cyril Hahn's Touch My Body, the Mariah Carey song that you might recall c.2005. Thankfully, the song sounds nothing like the cheese-stuffed original, and is actually pretty damn sexy. Chromatics's new single Cherry features this week - a mature departure from their first major single (Kill for Love). It's deeper, darker and generally more well-rounded and enjoyable, even though the lyrics are far from uplifting. I first got introduced to Clean Bandit back in January with their tune Mozart's House. Their new song, A&E, is along the same format - mixing classical samples with rap and electric beats. Sounds strange, and it is, but it works; you'll never have such a fun time with classical music. Funky House comes curtesy of the two Bit Funk remixes, which I have been found guilty sauntering down the street to. These songs turn any sidewalk into a catwalk, so make sure to work it baby. Liquid Drum&Bass is covered by remixes of Blu Mar Ten vs Erykah Badu's You Got Me, and Reflekt's Trance anthem Need to Feel Loved, both of which will chill you the fuck out while you battle the army of Christmas shoppers. With Dubstep becoming so commercial, it's getting harder to find stuff that's new and original, but I'm pretty sure I found some gems with Urban Contact's Aurora and Elliot Berger's Hanging On. Rather than being Skrillex-esque filth, they're more classy and restrained, and are as much a pleasure to listen to through your headphones as on huge speakers. Finally, we have Diplo & Grandtheft's Trap remix of Florence & The Machine and Calvin Harris's Sweet Nothing. Diplo manages to turn everything he touches to audible gold, and this track is no different. Never thought I'd be trap-stepping to Flo, but life is full of surprises. 

Time for me to shut up and for you to listen - enjoy!



Let me know what you're listening to this week!

Love,
Belle x

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...