Tuesday

Tune Tape Tuesdays #24

Good Evening, Tune Tapers! Before we get started, I just want to draw your attention to something that I'm really proud of. Back in February, my friend Iona guest edited La Belle et La Bête on the very first Guest List Monday. Writing all the way from Austria, she was going round Snow Parks and filming for various companies and competitions. I'd like to think that my Tune Tapes enriched her time there, as a few weeks ago she released her entry to the Nine Queens Video Contest 2013, featuring a song I included on Tune Tape Tuesday #16: Green Garden (Monsieur Adi Remix) by Laura Mvula. Not only am I honoured that she chose a song I'd introduced her to, but I'm also in awe of her talent in Videography. So here is her amazing entry, which won 2nd Place in the competition. Enjoy!



Alright, let's get down to some new music news. First up is an artist that I've discovered today, through the help of the The Hype Machine. He's an Israeli singer-songwriter called Asaf Avidan, and two remixes of his songs are featured on this week's Tune Tape: Maybe You Are (Stefan Biniak Private Edit) and One Day (Wankelmut Remix). Both tracks have that perfect 'Summer Beat', that makes you smile maniacally and clip your heels together. Or maybe that's just me. Whatever you want to do, there's no denying that they're damn catchy. Check out his Soundcloud page here, and show him some love on Facebook here. Next up are The Lumineers, who you'll probably know from their huge hit, Ho Hey, that featured on a number of TV adverts earlier in the year. Hailed as the new Mumford & Sons, this week I fell in love with their track, Stubborn Love, off their self-titled album (worth a download, BTW). Compared to Ho Hey, this is much more dark and complex - both lyrically and compositionally. I mean, just take a look at the opening lyrics:


She'll lie and steal, and cheat, and beg you from her knees
Make you think she means it this time
She'll tear a hole in you, the one you can't repair
But I still love her, I don't really care.


That's some deep shit. Lightening the mood, I'm proud to announce the return of Lana Del Rey. She's released TWO new songs this week; Young and Beautiful features on the soundtrack to the highly anticipated Great Gatsby, and Summer Wine is a Nancy Sinatra cover (whom Lana has previously named as her style-spiration). The former single isn't as catchy as we're used to from LDR, but she sultrily sways over the notes in a way that isn't by any means unpleasant. Put it this way, I'm not sure it'll be one of her greatest hits, but it's worthy of inclusion. Summer Wine is also a bit of a departure from Lana's previous work; seeing her team up with her current boyfriend, Barrie-James O'Neill, in a cute music video that looks like it was made using Instagram. Check it out here. The next track I'm not quite sure why I'm featuring, as it's been so splashed over Facebook that all of you would have already seen it. Nevertheless, any new song from Daft Punk deserves some recognition, especially if they've teamed up with Pharell (what? I thought he'd died? Yeah, me too). Tom Odell's track, Hold Me, is the kind of track you listen to late at night when you're missing your boyfriend. If, like me, your love life resembles the Sahara Desert, just pretend. No one will judge you. Well, not much. London Grammar is a band that I've had my eye on for a while now. Wasting My Young Years is, in my opinion, their best release to date. With powerfully controlled, Florence-esque vocals, and an accompaniment that slowly grows to a delicious crescendo, it's impossible not to be impressed. I suspect it's only a matter of time before these guys hit the big time. Junip's another artist I've discovered in the last few days, courtesy of HypeM. I accidentally listened to it twice, which I'm really glad I did. I probably would have overlooked it otherwise. Your Life, Your Call is what we in the 'music business' call "A Grower". Give it a chance, I guarantee it'll be top of your 'On-The-Go' in no time. Another band with a new release this week is Disclosure. This time, they've teamed up with Eliza Doolittle on You & Me. It's by no means as big as White Noise, but it will be featuring on sound systems across the country's dingiest clubs, so you should probably get familiar with it. TORCHES's track, If The People Stare is also worth a mention as a curiously pleasant hybrid of Chillwave and Indie. With more guitar than synth, but a beat that wouldn't be out of placed on a Washed Out album, it shows beautiful restraint and is an example to the old 'less is more' approach. Just when we couldn't stand another car driving past blasting Thrift Shop, Macklemore has come out with another anthem: Can't Hold Us, featuring the smooth RnB tones of Ray Dalton. Now whenever you hear the former, you can roll your eyes and say "that song is SO old...". You're welcome. I try to feature at least one Trap tune every week. This week's track comes courtesy of Djemba Djemba's remix of BANKS's Fall Over for you to perfect your TrapStep to. Finally, get your Drum'n'Bass fix from Flyte One, who have expertly remixed Laura Aquilina's Fools. If you've got a minute, the original's pretty decent too. That's enough from me now - time to leave you in peace. Over and out!







Love,
Belle x

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...